MOPs Calendar

Friday, October 5, 2007

Featured Mom--Ramie Babcock

Ramie grew up in Wichita, Kansas. I played competitive softball and received a full ride to a small Catholic college, but passed on the opportunity when my family was transfered to League City, Texas in June 2000. During that summer, I became very close to my family and did not want to move away. I decided to follow my passion of photography to Sam Houston State University. There, I met the love of my life, Adam, on the first day of class, freshman year! He was a frat brat and I was a sorority girl, so we partied like rock stars, but I earned my BA in Photography in only 3 years. After graduation, I was given the opportunity to work for NASA as a Photographer at the White Sand Test Facility in Las Cruces, NM--so I moved! I had a Top Secret Security Clearance and everything--basically, I photographed all the parts/pieces/people that went into space, before and after. Any testing that was done to the shuttle, I photographed before and after. In the return to flight effort, I performed the high speed digital imaging for the testing of ice on the shuttle tiles. It was a great job, but pretty boring (I'm overly creative) and it was far from home. And, I wanted my own photography business...

Adam and I moved back to Houston in time for our wedding (April 30th, 2005) where our own Bonny Barron shot the wedding! We began my business, Ramie Babcock Photography, in July 2005. Adam said we couldn't start having babies until we bought a house, so we bought our home in August and were preggers by September (when we evacuated for RITA!) Jackson graced our presence on June 28th, 2006 (and again, Bonny Barron shot our birth story!), and we could not be more happy to be parents. I still run my business full time (although it's a little stressful) but I consider myself a SAHM simply because I'm home with him and work when I can get it in! My hubby is a manager for Enterprise Rent-A-Car here in the Bay Area and has 3 offices on this side of town. We live in League City and are members of St. Mary's Catholic Church.

Currently, I am the Social Coordinator of MOPs, along with being the Purple Table Leader. I joined MOPs because I felt alone among all of my friends--none of them have kids, nor are they married, so we are all at different points in our lives. I had no one to share my frustration and joys with--and it was in that deep loneliness, that I stumbled upon MOPs--and I've loved it ever since. I am a big advocate that you "get out of it what you put into it" so I encourage everyone to get involved, meet new people, and make yourself visisble. We are all here for each other, so come out and join us!

No comments: